Grace Group Discussion on Colossians 3:1-4
by John Davis
From Death to Life to Glory
Colossians 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Col 3:1-4 ESV)
1. Discuss this explanation of union with Christ by Sinclair Ferguson:
If we are united to Christ, then we are united to him at all points of his activity on our behalf.
• in his death (we were baptized into his death),
• in his resurrection (we are resurrected with Christ),
• in his ascension (we have been raised with him),
• in his heavenly session (we sit with him in heavenly places, so that our life is hidden with Christ in God), and we will share
• in his promised return (when Christ, who is our life, appears, we also will appear with him in glory) (Rom. 6:14; Col. 2:11-12; 3:1-3).
2. What difference should it make in your life today that you have died and been raised in Christ regarding issues of security, significance, and success?
3. How does death and resurrection in Christ affect your relationship to sin? Read Romans 6:4-14.
4. What is it important to see the difference between receiving God’s gifts and receiving a Person in whom are all of God’s gifts?
5. What does the phrase “where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God” intend to communicate?
6. What does it mean to seek and think ‘the things above’? How do we do that practically? What is the role of the Word and Holy Spirit in this (see 1 Cor 2:9-16)?
7. How should “Christ is our life” be reflected in our values, our choices, our priorities, our joys and our sorrows?
September 23, 2019
September 18, 2017
September 11, 2017