1. Discuss what it means to have an unearthly joy that transcends the temporal joys and sorrows of life.
2. Discuss the reference to the gospel ( “in this”) and what it is about the gospel that offers a transcendent joy.
3. How can this unearthly joy be real in the presence of trials? Discuss how the gospel calls us to and enables us to live with antinomies?
4. Grammatically, ‘rejoice’ may be either a command or a statement. Either way, why should there be an expectation of joy even in the midst of difficult times?
5. Is unearthly joy simply ‘pie in the sky?’ How does what Peter teaches here undermine the health, wealth, and prosperity movement in Christianity?
6. How is this unearthly joy experienced in a faith that is tested under trial? Why are trials necessary?
7. What is the desired outcome of a tested faith?
8. Why must this unearthly joy be coupled with a love for Jesus?
9. How does the subtle intrusion of idolatry undermine our faith?
10. How does the future become a present reality in our lives? .What is the role of the Holy Spirit in this?